When you travel to another language speaking country, the most difficult part might be the language barrier that prevents you from fully engaging in another countries culture. Communication is key when you’re in a different environment. Whether you’re asking for directions or learning about the locals, here are some tips to help you prepare for your next adventure.
Learn the basics
You don’t have to be fully conversational. Take the time to learn the important basics such as ‘Thank you’ or please. For list best reviewed language apps, see our article: Learn A Language At The Palm of Your Hand.
Another suggestion is to bring a language dictionary with you. Although there are many apps to help provide you with assistance different language, it’s good to have a backup other than your mobile phone to help you with languages.
Language Translation Apps
- Google Translate has been rated one of the best language translation apps. Google Translate also incorporated a feature called ‘Word Lens” which helps translate foreign signs.
- iTranslate allows you to choose from over 90 languages. Although the app is free, for the premium version, you have the ability to use voice commands, get rid of ads and the ability to use longer texts. For quick phrases while traveling or a refresher while learning a language, the free version is perfect.
- Voice Translator is quite different from google translate or iTranslate simply because this app focuses on conversations rather than text conversions. The app will translate recorded phrases or sentences into whichever language you choose from. You also have the option to share them with friends or file the translation away for future use. If you find yourself face to face with someone who speaks a different language, you can pass the phone back and forth and have a conversation. The app will put the two language side by side so both parties know what’s going on. You can choose a phrase and see it translated into multiple languages at once. It’s the only app out there that allows for translated conversations.
Language Translation devices
There are a few startups that are changing the way we interact with other around the world through language translation devices, in real time.
- The Pilot Translation Earpiece– Allows the wearer to understand foreign language through real-time in-ear translation. A handy app will allow you to toggle through the languages you want, and the selection includes French, Spanish, Italian, and English. Learn more about the product or pre-order here.
- ili Wearable Translator- ili is a wearable translator that instantly translates your words. The device can be used anywhere, anytime without being connected to the internet. Its intuitive user interface allows you to use the device as if you’re directly communicating with the other person. To learn more about the product or pre-order here.
There are many resources to help you if you are planning your next adventure to another language speaking country. Looking for a travel companion or group that speaks the language for your next adventure? Post a request on our forum! How have you overcome language barrier while traveling. Let us know your experience.